Delicious Lentil Soup
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 kale leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
chopped1 ½ cups lentils
rinsed and picked over 6 cups vegetable broth/stock
preferably homemade 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
to taste 1 tablespoon fresh scallions
- Heat olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook until they are softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and cook for a minute.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaf, and rosemary. Cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add lentils, salt and pepper. Give it a big stir to make sure that everything is mixed.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, turn the heat up to medium-high, put the lid on and bring it to a boil. Once boiled, turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for 25-30 minutes.
- Add kale leaves and cook for more 6-7 minutes.
- Right before serving, take out the bay leaf and stir in the balsamic vinegar and chopped scallions.
- Pour the soup in individual bowls and garnish it with more scallions.