Creamy Mushroom Soup
2 pounds cremini mushrooms
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
8 fresh thyme sprigs, divided
2 tablespoons ghee
1 large sweet onion, diced
¼ cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free alternative
6 cups chicken stock preferably low sodium or home made
2 bay leaves
1/3 cup heavy cream or dairy free alternative
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place mushrooms in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Add olive oil, half of the garlic and 4 sprigs thyme; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine.
- Place into oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until browned and tender, stirring once. Let cool before coarsely chopping; set aside.
- Melt ghee in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until golden and caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in remaining garlic until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in chicken stock, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Stir in bay leaves and remaining thyme. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms; simmer until thickened, about 10-15 additional minutes. Remove from heat; stir in heavy cream.
- Serve immediately.