Quick Turkey MeatBall & Spanish Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
4 bok choy ribs with leaves, finely chopped
½ teaspoon dried thyme
6 cups chicken stock preferably Low Sodium or home made
2 bay leaves
2 cups baby spinach
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or alternative
2 tablespoons chopped scallions
For the meatballs
1 pound ground turkey
1/3 cup Panko
¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried parsley
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine ground turkey, Panko, Parmesan, oregano, basil, parsley and garlic powder; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Using a wooden spoon or clean hands, stir until well combined. Roll the mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch meatballs, forming about 18-20 meatballs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add meatballs, in batches, and cook until all sides are browned, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the skillet. Add garlic, onion, carrots and bok choy., Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken stock and bay leaves a; bring to a boil. Stir in meatballs; reduce heat and simmer until meatballs are cooked through, about 10-12 minutes. Stir in spinach until wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately, sprinkled with Parmesan and garnished with parsley, if desired.