Coconut Yogurt Quinoa Muffins
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
3 tablespoons water
2 small mashed banana
½ cup applesauce
½ cup coconut yogurt
¼ cup maple syrup
1 ¼ cup oat flour oats ground in a blender
½ cup quinoa flakes
½ cup blanched almond flour
¼ cup coconut sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cashew nut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat the oven to 350∫F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- Combine the flax and water and set aside to gel while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl, add together banana, applesauce, yogurt and syrup (add vanilla extract also, if using). Whisk in flax and set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to the wet and then stir to thoroughly combine (the batter will be kind of thick, but still stirable and soft).
- Fill each cup 3/4 of the way full. Add water to the ones that are unused. Sprinkle the tops of the muffins with quinoa flakes if desired. Let rest for 5 minutes before baking.
- Bake on the center rack for 24 – 26 minutes until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Resist the urge to not break into them; cooling them will allow everything to set properly. If desired, reheat in the toaster oven or in the microwave.