Lentil and Roasted Vegetable Bolognese
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Overall: 35 minutes
Storage: Reusable carton in the fridge for up to three days or freezer for two months
Every family needs a good Bolognese recipe in their repertoire. This is a family classic made without meat. It uses easy-to-find tinned lentils and is supercharged with roasted veggies. A favorite in our house and I hope in yours too!
I used gluten-free spaghetti but feel free to use any pasta you like. Lentil pasta is also a good alternative if you’re avoiding grains. Not traditional but I also love this served with rice or on jacket sweet potatoes too. Option to serve with vegan cashew parmesan or cheese of your choice.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
2 carrots, peeled and diced into 1-inch cubes
1 zucchini, diced into 1-inch cubes
Pinch of sea salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely diced
1 celery stick, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 can of green lentils, rinsed + drained
1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or 1/2 tsp dried
1.5 teaspoon dried oregano
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoon tomato puree
1 can chopped tomatoes, or use fresh
1/2 – 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, to taste
2 cups veggie stock
1 box of gluten-free spaghetti or pasta of your choice
Salt and pepper, to taste
Option to serve with vegan cashew parmesan, grated fresh parmesan, or cheese of your choice
+ fresh 1 – 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / 180 fan.
- Add the veggies to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt.
- Roast for 30 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, make the bolognese.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium heat in a Dutch oven or large saucepan.
- Fry the onions + celery for about 3 – 4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, thyme, rosemary, oregano, bay leaves, tomato puree, tomatoes, balsamic, veggie stock, salt, and pepper and simmer for about 15 – 20 minutes until thick. Stir through the roasted vegetables.
- Cook the pasta as per the instructions. Drain and add the pasta to the Bolognese and toss to combine. Option to add a splash of pasta water to thin. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. Remove the bay leaves and garnish with fresh parsley and optional cheese.