Cashew Mac and Cheese with Broccoli
I’m excited to share my family favorite made super healthy with this Cashew Mac and Cheese with Broccoli recipe. Made with a super tasty cashew cheese sauce, this recipe is dairy and gluten-free and includes some steamed broccoli to sneak in more veggies and up the nutritional powerhouse.
I used gluten-free macaroni but feel free to use regular if you prefer, or any pasta shape you like. I also love it with lentil-based pasta like yellow split pea, red or green lentil pasta if you’re looking for grain-free pasta. It’s one the whole family will enjoy.
Storage: Tupperware in the fridge for up to three days
1 cup cashews
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar, wholegrain, or dijon mustard
1/2 – 3/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
1/3 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
*optional 2 – 3 tablespoon water to thin
Mac and cheese
1 head broccoli
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 carton of gluten-free macaroni (option to use normal macaroni or any pasta shape you like)
1 – 2 tablespoon avocado or coconut oil
10 sage leaves
Cashew Mac & Cheese
- Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Drain and rinse.
- Place the broccoli in a steaming basket and steam for two minutes or until al-dente. *Option to boil in a little water if you prefer. Drain and toss a drizzle of olive oil.
- Cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Drain.
- Add the cashew cheese ingredients to a high-speed blender and blitz until super smooth. About 2 minutes, scraping the sides several times.
- Add cashew cheese to a pan with broccoli and pasta. Heat on a medium/low heat until warm, thinning with 2 – 3 tablespoons of water or to your liking.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
For the sage crisps
- Heat 1 – 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan. When hot add the sage leaves and fry on medium heat for about 1 minute or until slightly crisp.
- Spoon onto kitchen roll to crisp up.
- Serve with optional vegan or dairy cheese and sage crisps.