Healthy Chicken Burritos
Vegan + vegetarian options | Gluten-free + dairy-free options
Storage: Chicken + rice in the fridge for 2 days. Salsa with avocado 1 day. Best to heat the tortillas fresh.
Use leftover cooked brown, wholegrain or basmati rice
Use packet cooked brown, wholegrain or basmati rice
Make brown basmati rice in an instant pot. Rinse 1 cup of rice well. Add 1 cup of rice with 1 cup of cold water and a drizzle of olive oil to an Instant Pot and cook for 18 minutes on high pressure. Allow pressure to release naturally for 8 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool. This will yield about 3 cups of rice, more rice than you need for this recipe but you need this much for the Instant pot so it doesn’t burn. Use about half for this recipe and keep the rest in the fridge or freezer for another day.
Vegan + vegetarian options
Replace the chicken with cooked roasted vegetables like sweet potatoes, courgettes and peppers. Chop your chosen veggies into 1-inch cubes. Place on greaseproof lined baking tray. Toss with 1/2 the spices and 1 tbsp of olive oil and roast 200C / 180 fan for 30 – 45 minutes depending on which veggies you choose to use.
Option to add a little grated cheese if you prefer. We left out to make this dairy free. Grated cheddar or feta works well.
2 large skinless organic chicken breasts or 4 skinless, boneless organic chicken thighs
1 tbsp smoked paprika (or regular if you prefer)
½ tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/3 tsp cayenne, or more to taste
1/3 – 1/2 tsp salt, to taste
1/3 tsp cracked black pepper
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + more to drizzle
2 garlic cloves, minced
250g cooked brown rice, chilled (see above for rice options)
1 x tin (400g) black or adzuki beans, drained + rinsed
1 small tin (196g) unsalted corn, drained
1 small bunch fresh coriander (15g)
1 cup / 170g cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 medium avocado, cubed
1 little gem lettuce, shredded
4 large or 6 – 8 smaller GF flour tortillas
4 tbsp dairy free yoghurt (option to use Greek yogurt or sour cream if you prefer)
1. Preheat a griddle pan or frying pan over medium heat.
2. Bash the chicken breasts with a rolling pin to flatten slightly.
3. Add the spices, salt and pepper to a bowl and mix to combine. Rub about half the spices over the chicken and drizzle with olive oil.
4. Place the chicken onto the hot griddle or frying pan and cook for about 5 minutes, each side or until charred and cooked through, turning halfway. Leave to rest.
5. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add the garlic for 30 secs until fragrant. Add the cooked rice, beans, sweetcorn, and the rest of the spice mix. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes until slightly crisp. Turn off the heat, add 1/2 of the coriander, and a squeeze of lime. Set aside to cool.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes, green onions, 1 tbsp olive oil, avocado, and the rest of the coriander to a bowl, season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
7. Slice the chicken into strips.
8. Add a tortilla onto the griddle/frying pan on low heat for about 1 minute to soften or microwave for about 20 seconds, then place onto a plate.
9.Spoon rice mix into the middle, top with tomato and avocado salsa, chicken, lettuce and chosen yogurt. Wrap up the chicken burritos and enjoy. Serve any leftover rice on the side.