Stuffed Bell Pepper
1 pound lean ground beef 90% lean
4 mushrooms chopped
3 ears of fresh corn Kernels or 1 ½ cups frozen corn
2 celery sticks
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 tablespoons concentrated tomato paste
2 tablespoons scallions
1 tablespoon oregano
1 ½ cups cooked long grain rice
(you can use brown rice or quinoa, too)
¼ cup chopped Italian parsley
6 bell peppers
1 cup shredded cheese
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown the ground beef in a large fry pan over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until cooked almost through. Add the mushrooms, corn kernals, chopped celery, onion, carrots and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, scallions and oregano. Season with kosher salt and ground pepper to taste and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and chopped parsley.
- Meanwhile, cut off the tops of the peppers and spoon out the ribs and seeds, then rinse.
- Fill the peppers with the rice mixture and top each with cheese. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until the peppers are soft and the cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve hot.